Job Description of a Urologist
Urologists in Melbourne are physicians who specialize in the field of urinary tract working and male reproduction system. All patients who suffer from any discomfort in their kidneys, urinary tract, adrenal glands, or male genitalia are referred to a urologist. Urologists are specialists who help in treating the male reproductive organs which involve prostate gland, testes, etc. Urologists treat the following conditions in patient:
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs): UTIs occur when the bacteria are accumulates in the digestive tract to urethra. These are common and may not always be painful however it is always wise to get yourself checked from a good urologist in case you feel any irritation. The symptoms fir UTIs include abnormal urination, pain, incontinence, nausea, vomiting, fevers, and chills. It mostly affects women. Urologists help in treating these conditions effectively.
- Incontinence: A urologist will help you cope with incontinence; a condition which can occur due to malfunction of the urinary system in males, which can lead to loss of bladder control; resulting in frequent urinating. This can be a problem at old age.
- Infertility: For men who suffer from infertility due to damage of the reproductive tract or any disorder of sperm, urologists can help treat this issue. This can be treated by surgery, for which urologists are especially trained for.
- Kidney Disease: For people suffering from kidney stones Melbourne and kidney infections, urologists can treat their conditions easily. If you are facing any swelling in hands, ankles or are facing high blood pressure, you should consult a urologist.
- Kidney Transplantation: Urologists in Melbourne are specialized in performing kidney transplant surgeries for people suffering from kidney failure.
- Treating Cancer: Urologists help in treating cancer related to the urinary tract, kidneys, and male reproductive systems. This also includes the bladder and prostate cancer Melbourne.
- Enlarged Prostate: Enlargement of Prostate is also a serious condition which is affected in most men over of 50 years. Urologists help in treating this condition so that there is no chance of any other diseases to produce from worsening of this condition. This is important to treat since it is related to urinary system.
What to Expect when visiting a Urologist
Urologists are physicians who are specialized in dealing with the problems of kidneys, urinary system and male reproductive system; often working in a Melbourne urology clinic. When you are visiting a Urologist, you will be asked about your medical history, and be conducted of a physical examination by the urologist to point out any irregularities in your system. Other than physical examination, there might be some tests prescribed by the urologist as well such as CT scan, Imaging test, Ultrasound, MRI scans to locate the problem and its intensity.
Sometimes, cystoscopes are also used to test the patients. These are long, thin probe with a camera on that can be used to see inside the urinary tract and to take any samples from tissues of the tract for examination. Another type of texting a urologist can do is the Urodynamic testing to check how fast the urine passes out of the body.